Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A trip to the grocery store is never easy, is it?!?

Saturday I took the three kids to the grocery store. Ryan was busy at his friends building more duck blinds, so I really had no choice. We were having my brother and sister-in-law, Kristin and their kids over, and I had to get a few things.

I went to the store that has the little "Customer in Training" carts. If you've never seen these ~ they are miniature size versions of an actual shopping cart, and the little ones push them around the store, and "help" mommy get everything she needs (and many things that she doesn't).

I told the kids that they could use these carts, a)because I only needed a few things, and b)before I saw the parking lot. It was PACKED!!! How was I supposed to tell them that they couldn't use them now ~ they were so excited!!

We got into the parking lot, and before we went in, I gave them the speech of, "you stay right by mommy, you don't put anything in your cart, and NO fighting!" Things started out great. They were all in a line following me, and actually listening to every word I said. We went down aisle after aisle, getting smiles from most people, but definite looks of "why would you do this on a Saturday - I'm trying to get my shopping done, and your kids are in the way!" I'm not really sure that that is what people were thinking, but I can tell they were thinking something by the looks I was getting. Whatever. We were in the 6th aisle, and the boys were reaching the endcap. I was waiting for them at the end of the aisle. I don't know how it happened or who actually did it, (it was one of my boys) but an entire display of cans of frosting fell and cans were rolling all over the place! I about lost it. Thankfully the boys just accidentally banged into it ~ it wasn't like they were fighting or anything, but it didn't make matters any better. Like I said - this store was packed, and having a whole display of frosting fall to the ground made everyone's head turn! Their were two workers that were very eager to help, and it got picked up in no time! Thank God!

We were on our way then - just about done. I think I was in aisle 8, when this women says to me, "are they all yours?" I reply "Yes." I was waiting for the line that I ALWAYS get after someone asks me if "they're all mine" which is "you've got your hands full!" Suprisingly and thankfully, the lady says to me, "they are such good kids ~ I've been watching them walk behind you, and they are just behaving so nice." I smile and say "thanks!"

I don't know about you, but it is so rewarding to have a complete stranger tell you that your kids are so well behaved. And who am I kidding? For the most part (minus the little accident with the frosting) they were very good [that day]!

No comments:

Post a Comment