Thursday, October 11, 2007

Throwback Thursday - Summer of 1981




So I'm new to the "Throwback Thurday" scene, but I thought it looked fun, and I'd give it a try! :)



My mom and dad had a great idea to take a whole month off, and travel to the west coast ~ with FIVE kids!! In a car!! At the time we lived in Illinois, so it was about 6500 miles that they put on the car! Phew!

I don't have much of the details, because I was only four, but I did do a little bit of research - with the help of my Mom and Dad! :)

So seven of us were crammed into a 1978 Burgandy Chevy Caprice Station Wagon. It looked something like this, but as I said, I was only 4, so I can't remember much about it...



My two brothers had to sit backwards in the way back seat - the entire trip! Ugghhh! And the night before we left, my dad had to paint one of the doors, because my brother pulled it out of the garage and scraped the side passenger door! :)

The picture above is from Tijuana, Mexico. I'm the one with "Rosita" on my hat, my sister Melanie is "Maria", my brother Len is "Cisco Kid", my brother Paul is "Loco Kid", and my sister Leanne's hat says "Kiss Me." I love how my brother Len is sitting on a real donkey. On this photo, it came in a little sleeve that says, "if you're not happy with this photo - blame the jackass!" Too funny!

My dad said that when we went to Vegas it was 115 degrees out! My dad took all the kids swimming, and my mom found a laundromat to do laundry. I guess our duties never end! :)

On the way home, we were in the car for about 5 minutes, and my dad got a ticket. I'm sure it wasn't a shock to any of us, because that was pretty much par for the course, and it still is, isn't it Dad?! :)

I'm sure it was fun and held alot of memories for the older ones, but as I said, I don't remember much of it ~ except for the stories that I hear.

I do have to add that my mom said that she only had to roll down the window and scream once, while in Arizona. I give them credit. That's alot of time in a car with 5 kids!

For more Throwback Thursdays, visit The Pinks and Blues Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment