Thursday, March 20, 2008

Stage Fright

Yep, I've got it. I'm not a good public speaker, nor do I claim to be. I clam up, get all red in the face and stumble over my words. I hate it actually, because if you put me in a comfortable environment, I can talk anybodys ear off, but put me on a stage or at a podium, and it all goes down hill from there.

So, when Chloe's teacher sent an e-mail asking any parents/grandparents/friends to read a Dr. Seuss book to the class for Dr. Seuss's birthday, I thought I'd give it a try.

On Tuesday, I headed over to Chloe's school, with "Green Eggs and Ham" in hand, and nervous as can be. I actually picked up Ryan from work (it's only a couple of minutes from Chloe's school), so he could stay in the car with the sleeping boys while I quick ran in and read the book. As I was walking in, he rolled down the window and said, "Imagine them all in their underwear!" :) He's too funny!

The students were all watching a movie when I walked in the class, so I had to wait for it to end before I started to read. It was crazy, really. I was a nervous wreck - to read a book!! I think what intimidated me the most was not the 27 kids that I had to read it to, but the two teachers that were going to be observing me too!

The teacher introduced me, and had Chloe put on the crazy Dr. Seuss hat and then she took a picture of us...



I started to read the book, and was actually amazed at how calm I got, and how much fun I had! I know, it's sounds stupid that I was nervous to read a book to kids, when I do it everyday to my own kids, but this was just different to me somehow.

After reading the book, I had to ask the kids a couple of questions, and they seemed like they were really having alot of fun! I thought it was really cute, because the teacher asked the kids out of the 5 Dr. Seuss books that were read to them so far, which was their favorite? I would say that more than half said "Green Eggs and Ham!" Now, I know I didn't WRITE the book, but I really read it to them in a fun way, so I'll just believe that's why they liked it best! :) I did a good job - despite my "stage fright." But don't expect to see me on a stage anytime soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment