Friday, September 12, 2008

One Mile

We live somewhat behind a school. By that I mean that beyond our backyard is a field that belongs to the school. This field rarely gets used. On occasion for a football practice, and they use it maybe once a season for a cross-country track meet.

Well, today just happens to be one of the days that it is being used - for a cross-country track meet. I really had no idea that they were going to use it today, until I went outside to push the boys on the swing and noticed a big orange sign that said "1 mile" on it.

Brett asked me if I saw the sign, and I said, "yeah, but I'm wondering why it's in our yard?" Brett replied with, "Oh, I put it there!" I then say, "Oh buddy! Why did you move it - where was it?" I then start walking into the field with the sign to put it in it's proper place, whatever that place might be. "No mom, I was further in the field," he tells me. So I walk a bit more and settle on a spot that I thought was pretty reasonable.


I turn around and go to push Owen on the swing when I see a little flag on the ground. (It was the type of flag that they would use to mark off gas spots or cable lines, etc.) "What's this?" To which Brett replies, "Oh, that was under the sign!" Oh Man!! I got a little nervous, and thought - they must've really marked out 1 mile, and now my son has just screwed it up!!

I casually walked to my garage and threw away the flag...

No comments:

Post a Comment