Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Brett is having an MRI on Thursday


Brett has been complaining about headaches on and off for quite some time. There are days that he will just lay on the couch all day and complain of a headache.

A few weeks ago, I had Brett at the doctor for his 4-year check-up. The doctor asked me if I had any concerns, and I had mentioned the headaches to her. She almost immediately said that we needed to do an MRI. We talked about him falling out of the shopping cart, and how we had 2 clear CT scans, but she still said that a lot could change in a year and a half. She also said that mom's sometimes don't take headaches seriously, and then it ends up being a tumor. She in no way said that this is what she thought it was, so I'm not too concerned. She's also doing an MRI of his sinuses just to rule everything out, because "kids don't get headaches." If everything looks good, then it could just be migraines.

So Thursday morning, we go in for an MRI. I feel more nervous about the test itself than the results. I do want to rule everything out, but I really feel like he's just fine. Some of the reasons I'm so nervous about the test is that I am VERY claustrophobic. I myself cannot have an MRI unless I am sedated. The thought of it makes me panic. (Side note: I have a tumor on my pituitary gland, so I've had to endure several MRI's - so I know what I'm talking about.) Brett will need to be sedated, because he is so young, and most likely will not be able to sit still for the hour test. Because he is being sedated, he can not have anything to eat 8 hours before the test, and only clear liquids 3 hours before the test. This is going to be a problem. We all know that Brett loves to eat - first thing in the morning he'll ask for a snack. Next problem - because of the sedation, they say that sleep deprivation is VERY important. "Do not allow your child to sleep more than 5 hours the night before, and do not allow naps the day prior to procedure. Awaken your child in the morning no later than 5am, preferably 4am." YIKES - he normally sleep 10-12 hours a night, and he likes to eat FIRST thing when he wakes up!

I'm writing all of this to ask for your prayers. Not only for the test results themselves, but also the day of the test. Please pray that Brett will not be hungry (I know, strange request) and that he won't have a problem with the sleep deprivation and that the sedation does it's trick and he sits still for the test. Please also pray for my anxiety of the MRI machine. Thankfully Ryan will be coming with me, but I'm sure my boy will want mommy in there with him. :) (Hopefully we both will be able to go in there with him.)

Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment