Wednesday, September 17, 2008

At the park...

So we're at the park today - me, Melanie and Kristin. All was fine. We grabbed some Subway sandwiches, ate a little lunch, and then let the kids play. My sister brought Capri-Sun pouches for the kids to drink.

My kids learned a new trick with the pouches. Once they are done with the juice in them, they blow them up with air, and then jump on the pouch to watch the straw fly out - but not before they yell "Fire in the hole!!!" :D

Brett was playing on the playground with his empty pouch in his hand and pretending like he was squirting people with it. Probably not the best thing to do, but hey - he's a 4 year-old boy who loves to watch people squirm. Well, he pretended to squirt his juice at another mom, and she turned around and pointed her finger at him and yelled at him not to do that to her.

I watched the entire thing transpire, and it wasn't but a second later that I got off the picnic bench and started marching over to the scene. I called Brett's name, and told him to come to me. The mom turned around and smiled and in a sing-song voice said, "he said it was empty he he he." To which I replied, in a very calm voice, "I can take care of my own son, thank you." I wanted her to know that what she did wasn't appropriate.

What gives this lady the right to point at my son and yell at him. No one, and I think that's why I reacted the way I did. I cooled off, and then enjoyed the rest of my time.

My question is this - did I overreact?!? What would you have done in this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment