Monday, June 23, 2008

How could I have let this happen?



A couple of weeks ago, Chloe lost her first tooth! :) She was thrilled when the tooth fairy left her four quarters under her pillow. The smile on her face, and the jumping up and down around the room were priceless.

While we were in Florida, her other loose tooth got REALLY loose. She wanted it out so bad, but was afraid to pull it. Wednesday night, we were eating dinner, and while she was eating her corn on the cob, it fell out! She was ecstatic! That night, we forgot to put it under her pillow ~ she says she didn't forget, but that she didn't want to get out of her bed to get it!;D Anyway, she went to the lake with my in-laws on Thursday night, so she didn't put it under her pillow then either. I had the tooth wrapped in a paper towel on the kitchen counter, waiting for her to come home so the tooth fairy could visit. Well, Sunday I realized the paper towel was missing. I asked Ryan if he threw it away, and he said that he did. Ryan is notorious for throwing things away!! I actually was really upset with him, and because Chloe wasn't home, I made up a master plan to get the first tooth that she lost (yes, I saved it!) and play it off like that was the second tooth that she lost ~ are you still following me?!?:)

As I was wiping down my counters last night, I found the tooth!!!! Crazy, I know, but I was thrilled! We put it in a little Ziploc baggie and placed it under her pillow.

This morning, Chloe walked into my room sobbing ~ tears rolling down her face. She could barely speak. When she was able to speak, she said, "she didn't give me any money for my tooth!" It then clicked that I forgot to put the money under her pillow. How could I have forgotten to do such an important thing ~ well, important to a 5-year old. I had to act quick, so I went into her room to see if the tooth was still there - knowing full well that it was, but I had to put on a little act. Fortunately, to my advantage, the tooth didn't stay under her pillow - it fell behind her bed. So I said, "maybe the tooth fairy didn't know that you lost a tooth, because it wasn't under your pillow." She was still crying. I called Grandma Betty, and asked her if the tooth fairy ever forgot to come to our house when we were little, and Grandma didn't really know what I was talking about. I said, "Oh, so sometimes it took her a couple of days to collect the tooth and leave the money?!" That seemed to calm Chloe down. Phew!

So now, I just have to make sure I get those quarters under the pillow tonight!!:D


**Side note - What does the tooth fairy pay at your house? Do you have a tooth fairy? Ryan and I probably only got a quarter for each of our teeth growing up, so we thought 4 quarters was pretty reasonable. Believe it or not, I've heard of people giving $20/tooth!! And on the plane coming home from FL, the girl next to Chloe said she got $30/tooth!!! WHAT?!?!?! Multiply that by 20 teeth, and you're talking $600!!!! CRAZY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment